Aaaaahhh....Power!!!

It's been a long time away. Away from you. And now I return....with baby steps. Learning the simple things I had learned before, again.
A wild ride, it's been.
It is tough I tell you, to start writing again.
Ok lets talk.
Strength. Power. That's what everyone's after. And it's strange what people would do to get it...Everywhere I see nowadays, I see power-hungry people. That is what life has become, that race to be the most poweful. But what is sad and kinda disheartening is the definition of strength. I'd read in Shataram once, ' The strength of a soldier is known more by what he endures that what he can inflict.' It seems so profound, so true. Any one can shout, hit, press a trigger....would anyone be willing to receive these things? I think not. But today it's more about, 'Kill a fly but do it with an AK-47'. So that everyone knows u have one. It's kinda what I've seen.
I've seen raised voices, angry expressions, threats and deeds which not only seem unwarranted but also avoidable by the person. Then why do they do it? It's this hunger. If one person keeps quiet, gets scared, it's a victory. U have power. It's a game. But not a small one. This game has reached humongous proportions. While reading 'Maximum city', I kinda realised that yes Mumbai was probably worse in the 90s with gangsters ruling everything and terror everywhere. Now I hardly hear any news of shootouts. But...., What I hear now that I didn't then and with alarming frequency are political parties. Yes I say it in the same breath as the shootouts. Every other day I see people rampaging cities and people like a rampaging bull. I sit. I think. They really are looking angry. They do sound angry. And hurt. But are they? I really don't think so. Those guys wouldn't even be able to argue about what they are doing all this to people for. And still they do....why you think???
It's this power. This addicting and pleasurable thing. The power over another human being. You are hardly responsible for anything. It's ok. Do whatever. Enjoy!! It's a dark future we are looking at if this goes on. When this thing which went around in person to person basis has become so big that this hunger for power will devour everything India stands for. The land of great minds and great wisdom down in the dumps because of a blind, ignorant, and just plain stupid hunger for power.It's a competition now. Who knows maybe people from rival parties or lets call them gangs....;-) are sitting together right now and discussing with pride how many buses or takis they broke. And believe me...it's gonna go on. Because if one part oh sorry gang doesn't do it, it's considered weak. And no one wants to be left behind...c'mon it's a race. May be even regular people say it with a sense of pride, our people brought the city to halt, those people didn't even make all news channels.
Yes...let me not let all you regular folk off the hook. It's not as if all the people who don't run around the city shouting slogans are saints untouched by the this wonder drug-power. Yes....you. Sitting in that plush air-conditioned office. You know, you have done it. Everytime you felt that tinge of infringement on your huge and proudly placed ego by someone, and you have given something back. Remember? Everytime you have felt like the only one capable and assigned to protect that most sacred thing in the world- your ego. Everytime you said...yes, if he says something, I swear I'll give it back. I'll not make him see how wrong he is, I'll just give it back. Everytime you've felt the need to prove your superiority not by doing something superior-like but by making someone feel inferior. Or when you have raised your voice and half threatend someone just because you know that would work better that requesting someone.....politely. It is nothing. Nothing. But hunger for power.
A lot has been written about this new ritual we have started. But somehow somewhere we have taken it. Like we always do. In our stride. (Oh, forget about it).I would not like to add too much to it lest people hurt with this come to my house to blacken my face. You never know..

P.S.The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations -David Freedman

Comments

BD said…
Aha! Doc is back :)

And yeah, doc is now truly Shantaram-read!!
"I'd read in Shataram once, ' The strength of a soldier is known more by what he endures that what he can inflict."

Really liked this quote.
Damn good post... I know what your talking about. I agree all of us have insecurities and thus strike at others for power. The only way I've handled it so far is I've kept my cool to some extent. And when I feel that this person is treading dangerously onto my ground, I loose my cool. I agree with being polite, I always am, but its got its bad sides too.

For eg, ppl in my office treat the coffee guy like yeah whatever. I used to be polite to him, and twice he delayed MY CUP ONLY, when i had requested and reminded him nicely. The second time he did it. I blew it. And told him he can keep the coffee.Since that day, I get my cofee and tea on time :)
He 's extra nice to me and my temper is gone, so Im cool again! lol

thats life huh!
Pranay said…
Hehehe....Thnx Equi...U know who I m back because of...

Ego- I like the quote too...You are right. It's spread over and it's true many things happen much better if the anger is shown. But then, that's probably the reason many keep trying to intimidate everyone. And although blowing up gets things done, don't u think it's still wrong?
Thanks for the wonderful comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Crossroads

Forgive and forget?