Forgive and forget?
It is weird how things just happened in a way that I landed with this topic.
The first idea of a post came when I read this story in the newspaper. For those too lazy to visit the link, it speaks of a accident victim who had a pipe lodged in his neck and chest saying he doesn't have any grudges against the driver who dashed into him and has chosen to forgive him. It think it's a great gesture and should be talked about all over to get such a thing as forgiveness to be considered among virtues again. I believe it's not looked up to as much anymore and the one who can give back is the only one who is respected...as I've talked about in an earlier post.
So, anyway..This got me thinking about doing a post about forgiveness.
Then as I came online today, a real close friend of my past msged me. Now this guy was pretty close to me when he went abroad for studies. It's been 4 yrs since he's talked to me.It started with him not replying me on msngr. I did scrap him on orkut a few times but without a reply. I even complained but to no avail except for a cool 'just been a bit busy' reply. Whereas I got to know he's in touch with other friends of his... Felt hurt. Felt angry. It surely wasn't just because he was too busy. I still wished him on his b'day. So did another girl from our school. She got a 'thanks. howz life?' reply. I didn't. Today he msged to me. I didn't know what to say. Whether to bring up the topic or no. I'd decided to put it behind me. Talked to him a bit and then when I couldn't hold it any longer,
Me:so u remembered me after years!! I thought u'd ve forgotten me now..
Him:Aise kaise bholta re.
Me:U knew this was coming.
Him:Ya
Me:Hmmm
Him:It's a thing we all went our way and then we stumbled upon new things and new commitments but that doesnt make u forget old friends dude.
Him:It's just we cud not speak for a long time.
Me:I did scrap you few times and never got a reply.
Him:I don't reply any1 unless its a hot chick :P.
And that's when I couldn't say anything further. I didn't wanna argue with such stupid excuses. I just let it go.
Me:Ok...anyway what happened happened..Howz life?
That didn't mean I was completely ok with it. Hardly. He doesn't really seem like a close friend anymore. That brings me to forgiveness. Should I? Could I? I don't know...I don't know if I'd be able to forget it.
And while I was going through this mess, another thing sprung up. I am a member at an online singing and networking site. I am not a very good singer. But I think I m still good. I compose and write my own songs and sing them. Anyway...This middle aged bloke came out of nowhere and commented 'Stop singinging'(I kept his typo intact). This guy's a big Kishore fan and has supposedly recorded an album singing Kishore's songs in a Kishore's voice. As I saw his profile, dude has been to everyone's songs and advised something or the other to everyone in a condescending way. I was already livid. I heard his recording. It was good. No doubt. But it was in 'Kishore's Voice'. I hate such people. As I have mentioned in this post I can't respect someone who can't believe in himself and has to imitate someone to try to be good. Here too, I tried to forgive. Tried to be morally superior and not be affected. But couldn't.
I commented: "Nicely sung indeed...but everyone likes Kishore coz he was himself...try not to let your liking for Kishoreda influence your voice."
I wondered if it was enough.
I wrote this as my reply to his comment:"Thanks for your suggestion...appreciate it. :)" thought hard whether I should let it be or write something else but went throught it all again and decided to add "I don't think I would take it though especially from a mimickry artist.”
I couldn't again....
I would love to know what you guys think I should've done...
Be honest. I promise, I will forgive you...:)
I m waiting.
P.S. Deleted my reply to the comment. Just seemed wrong.
The first idea of a post came when I read this story in the newspaper. For those too lazy to visit the link, it speaks of a accident victim who had a pipe lodged in his neck and chest saying he doesn't have any grudges against the driver who dashed into him and has chosen to forgive him. It think it's a great gesture and should be talked about all over to get such a thing as forgiveness to be considered among virtues again. I believe it's not looked up to as much anymore and the one who can give back is the only one who is respected...as I've talked about in an earlier post.
So, anyway..This got me thinking about doing a post about forgiveness.
Then as I came online today, a real close friend of my past msged me. Now this guy was pretty close to me when he went abroad for studies. It's been 4 yrs since he's talked to me.It started with him not replying me on msngr. I did scrap him on orkut a few times but without a reply. I even complained but to no avail except for a cool 'just been a bit busy' reply. Whereas I got to know he's in touch with other friends of his... Felt hurt. Felt angry. It surely wasn't just because he was too busy. I still wished him on his b'day. So did another girl from our school. She got a 'thanks. howz life?' reply. I didn't. Today he msged to me. I didn't know what to say. Whether to bring up the topic or no. I'd decided to put it behind me. Talked to him a bit and then when I couldn't hold it any longer,
Me:so u remembered me after years!! I thought u'd ve forgotten me now..
Him:Aise kaise bholta re.
Me:U knew this was coming.
Him:Ya
Me:Hmmm
Him:It's a thing we all went our way and then we stumbled upon new things and new commitments but that doesnt make u forget old friends dude.
Him:It's just we cud not speak for a long time.
Me:I did scrap you few times and never got a reply.
Him:I don't reply any1 unless its a hot chick :P.
And that's when I couldn't say anything further. I didn't wanna argue with such stupid excuses. I just let it go.
Me:Ok...anyway what happened happened..Howz life?
That didn't mean I was completely ok with it. Hardly. He doesn't really seem like a close friend anymore. That brings me to forgiveness. Should I? Could I? I don't know...I don't know if I'd be able to forget it.
And while I was going through this mess, another thing sprung up. I am a member at an online singing and networking site. I am not a very good singer. But I think I m still good. I compose and write my own songs and sing them. Anyway...This middle aged bloke came out of nowhere and commented 'Stop singinging'(I kept his typo intact). This guy's a big Kishore fan and has supposedly recorded an album singing Kishore's songs in a Kishore's voice. As I saw his profile, dude has been to everyone's songs and advised something or the other to everyone in a condescending way. I was already livid. I heard his recording. It was good. No doubt. But it was in 'Kishore's Voice'. I hate such people. As I have mentioned in this post I can't respect someone who can't believe in himself and has to imitate someone to try to be good. Here too, I tried to forgive. Tried to be morally superior and not be affected. But couldn't.
I commented: "Nicely sung indeed...but everyone likes Kishore coz he was himself...try not to let your liking for Kishoreda influence your voice."
I wondered if it was enough.
I wrote this as my reply to his comment:"Thanks for your suggestion...appreciate it. :)" thought hard whether I should let it be or write something else but went throught it all again and decided to add "I don't think I would take it though especially from a mimickry artist.”
I couldn't again....
I would love to know what you guys think I should've done...
Be honest. I promise, I will forgive you...:)
I m waiting.
P.S. Deleted my reply to the comment. Just seemed wrong.
Comments
But, then, when it is the time to ask, you should.
Deciding is the catch.
As far the comment, was it wrong actually?
I just never forget :)
(Open to interpretation)
I often stand at confused crossroads myself (on this topic of forgiveness especially) If I forgive someone, does it not then mean that he/she has not realised the impact of the hurt they have inflicted upon me? Then again, if I forgive the incident, then what stops them from walking all over me, all over again?
Then again, besides a little vindictive pleasure and perhaps the ruins of dilapidated relation, what will I gain by not forgiving either!!
I am more confused than you are!!
Thnks for dropping by...:)
@ Equi- Agree with you too Equi...The Deciding.
But then the deciding again can depend on how forgiving you are...
About the comment...I don't know re...just felt disrespectful. For whatever it's worth, even if he did it, I wouldn't want to insult someone.
@ priya- :)....That is probably the safest bet most of the times......But there are exceptions..
@ beauty and the beast- Hehehe...I take that as a compliment.
Most of the time, forgiving or not would not change how someone would behave in the future. It is just about how you are able to cope with the hurt and handle the situation.
But then, you are exactly right in the kind of confusion we get in when deciding what to do...:(.
If you do get the answer though, do let me know....:).
@ gonecase- Well I don't think it was true but even if it was, I think it was uncalled for and totally inappropriate to say something like that. So it isn't excusable.
The 'kicking butt' part is what is confusing. Would it really do any good for me except for pampering my ego...??
I find it very very easy to forgive.. but I never forget
:D Which kinda ruins the whole effect ;)
I don't know about the others.. but I'm built that way. Manufacturing defect :D
Grief is deeper emotion, felt/given/shared only for/to/with ones that lie deep inside...:).
This is a nice thought to deal with your guilt, if any...:P.
I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be wow.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;
BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!
This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)
Cheers,
I'm sure about the forgiveness thing...I mean, its a moment when people lose trust..i"m not telling you to follow me..but, thats how i am...a FEW can be forgiven..stuff that he didn't intend to do purposefully...what about the stuff that he/she had done in anger, can be forgiven too (sometimes)..
stuff that is kinda back stabbing and the person realizes it later & turns a new leaf..can be done in certain circumstances where you have people around you and are expecting more of you..
As for the mimicry one, IF IF IF IF I were you.... I would never ever let anyone hurt my inner conscience.. Thats beyond forgiveness. I sing for the sake of it, its relaxing..and people who love it..love it.. I won't change for any god damn bloke who comments randomly and acts like a celebrated critic..if he comments "stop singin" without telling why/what/when/how and stuff like that.. i would simply say "Thats a lot coming from a mimicry artist" OR i would also say "shame to you" OR "mind your own ******* mimicry mouth and meaningless comments"
Well, as i said before..that's me.. I forgive in occasions when there is some room..
I would go by equi too.. Being an Indian I can be noble too.. let them hit me as much as they can.. or be a Gandhi..
Also we can forgive for sure..why not forgive..it was just a phase for us..but lets create a same phase for the other idiot in a funny way and mention the same thing to him/her..but they should realise it..then only ACTUAL Forgiveness would work..
And for the reply to your friend instead of the "wat hapnd hapnd"..i wud say "hmm...sum1 becumin a caaaasssshhhhhaaaaanooovaaa??? oooh baby baby!! baby baby!! ;)" its simple yet effective..ud get proper reply at that time..trust me..
I understand what you mean...even I cannot forgive if I have been hurt and back stabbed by someone close. Maybe I can forgive superficialy but I cant forget.
About the mimickry thing, Yes At first even I thought of calling him names and stuff but then 'Would it really do anything to improve the problem' Whether your conscience is hurt or not depends on you. And what if you don't let it hurt you instead of saying something back. And even if it does hurt you, would it hurt less if you say something back? I just felt bad disrespecting someone that old especially on something he must really hold close to his heart.
I agree bout the mentioning your complain in a funny way part. But here I dont think it would have worked....he'd ve just laughed it off...and I didnt wanna give him any importance.
i m trying to follow it myself :)
bitter truth is sometimes grudges just remain...yet can't deny the fact that forgiveness is an essential virtue but alas people take it for cowardice
Welcome to this part of the blogger...:)