Heart v/s Mind
One of the biggest questions I've faced in life is the heart v/s mind dilemma. How do you live your life? following your heart or following your mind? What do you give more importance to, love or money?
I personally am one who worships the heart. I think it's what makes us human. That is the only thing that we can be proud about as humans, I feel. But then what do I know? I am stupid. I am a dumb little boy who lives more in his dreams than in real life.
I am sure everyone and maybe even myself would respect a person who gave up every pleasure in his life and worked single mindedly on achieving success more than one who lived life loving dearly his loved ones.
But it's so sad.
Now I know if I saw a guy in school saying he's all in love and he's gonna dedicate his life to the one he loves, I'd think he's stupid. But if I see a guy who doesn't know the worth of the person who loves him dearly I'd feel he's damn stupid too no matter how successful he is.Yes sadly it's your money and your success that's respected in this world.If you have it you are great otherwise you're just a loser.
I wish I become like that. I wish nothing else matters to me but my career. I wish I live just for success.I wish I can not think of anything else when there's work to do. I wish.....I wish I become ruthless. Tough hearted.Tough yeah that's the word...tough.I wish I become tough. Inside.
But It's just too damn difficult.
There's no room for people like me. Guess I am just too old fashioned. It's about standing on your feet. No matter how you get there. That's what you gotta do.It's scary sometimes.
Get a hold of yourself Pranay. You have gotta do it. Friends are only those that will help you achieve your goal. Everything else is secondary. And love, it's just too plain stupid. Too insignificant.A waste. A hurdle rather.Superficial is what you've got to be. In everything.
For the ones who follow their heart, there's that huge problem too, the heart ache, which is especially common in this age of the heartless.That is another reason why people do stay away from matters of the heart and keep relationships on a superficial level. No one would want to get hurt and weak.Smart I'd say but it just is too sad. I may never be able to do that. Although it appeals to my mind it just doesn't seem right to the heart. A life without the heart is an insult to life. But I wish I learn to do it.
I don't think anyone can answer my question. Both sides have strong and weak sides.
And as much as I despise it, I'd suggest everyone to keep their heart out of the way. Atleast it won't get trampled upon by these tough people.
I wish...
I personally am one who worships the heart. I think it's what makes us human. That is the only thing that we can be proud about as humans, I feel. But then what do I know? I am stupid. I am a dumb little boy who lives more in his dreams than in real life.
I am sure everyone and maybe even myself would respect a person who gave up every pleasure in his life and worked single mindedly on achieving success more than one who lived life loving dearly his loved ones.
But it's so sad.
Now I know if I saw a guy in school saying he's all in love and he's gonna dedicate his life to the one he loves, I'd think he's stupid. But if I see a guy who doesn't know the worth of the person who loves him dearly I'd feel he's damn stupid too no matter how successful he is.Yes sadly it's your money and your success that's respected in this world.If you have it you are great otherwise you're just a loser.
I wish I become like that. I wish nothing else matters to me but my career. I wish I live just for success.I wish I can not think of anything else when there's work to do. I wish.....I wish I become ruthless. Tough hearted.Tough yeah that's the word...tough.I wish I become tough. Inside.
But It's just too damn difficult.
There's no room for people like me. Guess I am just too old fashioned. It's about standing on your feet. No matter how you get there. That's what you gotta do.It's scary sometimes.
Get a hold of yourself Pranay. You have gotta do it. Friends are only those that will help you achieve your goal. Everything else is secondary. And love, it's just too plain stupid. Too insignificant.A waste. A hurdle rather.Superficial is what you've got to be. In everything.
For the ones who follow their heart, there's that huge problem too, the heart ache, which is especially common in this age of the heartless.That is another reason why people do stay away from matters of the heart and keep relationships on a superficial level. No one would want to get hurt and weak.Smart I'd say but it just is too sad. I may never be able to do that. Although it appeals to my mind it just doesn't seem right to the heart. A life without the heart is an insult to life. But I wish I learn to do it.
I don't think anyone can answer my question. Both sides have strong and weak sides.
And as much as I despise it, I'd suggest everyone to keep their heart out of the way. Atleast it won't get trampled upon by these tough people.
I wish...
Comments
Damn if only that wasn't true.
"Friends are only those that will help you achieve your goal"
I disagree with you here, nobody but nobody will helo you with anything unless they want something out of it... Even your parents, they want you to study hard so they can tell their friends hey we're not losers after all... we raised fine kids. Emotions unfortunately do not have value anymore.
Place yourself in the center of your universe... that will get you what you want and nothing else. People these days don't look for references they look for how much faith you have in yourself. You are your best judge appeals to them and so they base you on what you present to others as your picture. You act important, trust me people will think you are. Its not the best way but its a doggy-dog world and it sucks big time....
How can you be so full of yourself as to think you are very important? It's so very difficult. I know people who are such and I just hate it. And that is the need of the hour? Well, then God or someone really help me.
It is just too wrong for me. Hope I am not called loser.
But I'd rather be called a loser than a rude and arrogant person .
You should Read about Vipassana, it is a meditation technique to understand one's own mind. Vipassana, is a Pali word (Lord Buddha spoke and taugt in Pali language). The meaning of the word Vipassana is to "SEE THINGS AS IT IS"?.
What exactly is this "TO SEE THINGS AS IT IS"!!!. In general, we see things as "We want them to be" or "as they appear to be". Both are wrong, this is exactly why when some one says something bad, or when someone does something bad that affects the person as well as the people around him/her.
In a similar way, every day and many time a day, all of us say or do something that the other person can be very hurtful?. It happens at the subtle level so we do not normally understand things at the subtle level, a single word could hurt a person, it might be lingering for hours to day?. Isn't it?. Why?.
You do not realise how much that beeing said or done is quite hurtful to the other person, besides hurting you?.
Therefore, the root cause of all these hurts or beeing hurt stems from every individuals mind.
When Buddha walked out of his palatial kingdom refusing to accept his father's offer to run the kingdom, Buddha noticed people living in pain, miseries, hatredness wherever he went. So, he decided to find out what could be the root cause of all this behaviors of people, why the whole lot of them live in miseries, pains and diseases?.
He discovered later, by dedicating years on meditation that the best way to get rid of the above said is to reach one's own mind and purify it.
But how?. By practicing meditation as it was taught by the ONLY ENLIGHTENED HUMAN ON EARTH "LORD BUDDHA" he himself practiced, so imagine, where we ordinary humans stand?.
Let me talk to you about Heart v/s Mind.
Heart v/s mind is rather a misnomer. There is nothing like to have a good heart or good heart vs mind, why?.
Heart do not or does not express any behavior as such, for a behavior such as feeling, sensation, perception, pain, hurt, taste, smell, learning, memory, love or hate, greedy or extraordinary generosity.....etc., all these are some of the thousands of defined behaviors. For these behaviors to be expressed, there are group of nerve cells well studied and identified, those nerve cells recieve the signals from external world in the form of odor, light, sound and other signals. Once the signal is send to those group of nerve cells in the brain, it is then integerated by them, which in turn passes messages on to the "cerebral cortex" the most evolved part of the brain (only present in highly evolved humans and mammals). The cortex then instructs the body parts to how to respond to the external signals.
Including activating the heart with increased heart rate, palpations etc.
This is how a behavior is brought out in a simplistic explanation, I can go on and on in further explaining to you in details, but it is not the scope of my comments.
Thus, I wish you and others ephemeris on mind, and try to better understand mind than asking an immensely meaningful interpretation from the heart.
Well, what is a good or bad heart after all?. What we mean by saying such is to have a healthy heart, devoid of cholesteral, fat or other deleterious molecules that makes the heart bad and cause diabetes, heart attack, atherosclerosis kind of disease that are heart related. So we call people with bad heart when we see those disease.
Heart is extraordinarily innervated (connected) by brain cells, there is lot of intraction between heart and mind, so when a person is very angery or greedy or sad, the mind and brain act immediately to bring changes in heart rate, its function or perhaps creating a heart attack kind of insult.
Hope you will see something useful in this trivial comments of mine. I kind of read blogosphere sometimes, and when I read a commentary on your heart v/s mind, I thought I must through some light here!? to expalin to the Indian youngsters to not go with what is told in the world without rationally looking what is what? before we spoil our healthy system.
Saint,
upliftthem
So don't worry and follow the instructions of your heart coz that way you can certainly reach to greater heights with less efforts.
@ saint- Thanks for the long comment. Ok first of all I am a medical student so I know about the nervous and cardiovascular systems. I was talking about the philosophical part of it. I also know about the Buddha's life story . And the only thing that you say, if I am right is that you should do what is right even if it hurts someone. I guess it is right when you can reach that spiritual state when nothing matters to you.
But when are affected by emotions should you leave them aside for physical gains?
And the actual emotional centre of the brain is the hypothalamus.
@ priyankari- By following your heart you can't always reach greater heights in terms of money or success although you can reach greater heights of mental satisfaction.
But what if your heart gets broken? What if everybody is so busy following their minds that you are left with neither success nor love?
@ advitiya- I don't agree with you on the parents point. Although they get and may want to get pleasure out of boasting about their children, I don't think that's the only reason they want us to do good. If that would be true they wouldn't be so loving with differently abled children.
Why not... I'll just give you a small example. If you don't exist, does the world matter to you? It does not... you are, you exist so the world exists for you. You die and the world ceases to exist for you... how difficult can that be?
I hate people who think that placing oneself in importance is egoist or something bad. Since when has making yourself happy been bad? Don't you give the beggar a few coins so you'll be at peace??? Is being slefish all that bad?? I don't think so...and I think you know my views on this...
Sorry this coming a little late...was caught up with work
But what I meant was to act in a derogatory way to other people. Having such arrogance that you would rather order than request. Boast about yourself knowing the other person isn't liking it. I don't think it can be called anything but confidence and feeling of self as important gone too far. And yeah the word is cocky. I hate cocky people. But they are the most confident and chances, are will be successful.
Don't hate me...;-).
Happy New Year!
You've been tagged at my site!