A part of history...
It is a historic day today. And so I post.
Yes, I have to admit I have been pretty interested in the Presidential race in the US this year as I am sure are millions across the globe. It's very rare that some one could take the whole world by storm in a way Sen.(at the time of going to post) Obama has. Deserving or undeserving, that man has to be given some credit. And that's one of the reasons I am interested in the Elections. Not only is he half african american, he hasn't even lived his whole life in the US. His father wasn't even an American citizen. It's credit not only to him but the American people for their liberal view that they can take a man on his merit and not his background and put him in the running for the highest office in the country...and also thus the world.
Now this isn't in anyway an endorsement for Obama. I am sure it's too late for that anyway. It is an endorsement for modern thinking. Yes that's what comes to mind when I hear his speeches. And this is not just a compliment for him. It is again for the American public. As we all know, it is no use harping high intellectual gibberish in the political arena. All that matters is votes. All that matters is changing people's opinions and attracting them. And that means you have to target at the lowest common denominator. Some thing that will hit and affect the most people. And thus comes the praise for the public. I hope I get to see such speeches instead of the usual emotional, inflammatory or divisive speeches by politicians in my lifetime in India.
You can argue that I really have no business posting and talking about American politics when I haven't really written one good thing about Indian politicians yet. That's true. But I am not interested in American politics in terms of politics. I am interested in it in an intellectual or even an humamitarian way. I don't know which candidate is good for the US or even for Indo-US relations(having said that I kinda think it is not McCain. Sorry mate, had enough of Bush). I feel pleased within when I see Obama as the next president as it tells me something all thought impossible. A man born in poverty in Kenya could give birth to a man who would become the most powerful man on earth. Now isn't that an amazing statement? It's a big boost to people of third world countries and more than that it is, for the people of the developed nations, a reminder that all are equal. It may not change much but it does narrow the gap a little bit. Especially because of the democratic way he will be chosen, if he is.
....the post is named so because after 50 years, I could say, remember those historic elections in 2008? I wrote a post about it too. It will be a part of history.
Yes, I have to admit I have been pretty interested in the Presidential race in the US this year as I am sure are millions across the globe. It's very rare that some one could take the whole world by storm in a way Sen.(at the time of going to post) Obama has. Deserving or undeserving, that man has to be given some credit. And that's one of the reasons I am interested in the Elections. Not only is he half african american, he hasn't even lived his whole life in the US. His father wasn't even an American citizen. It's credit not only to him but the American people for their liberal view that they can take a man on his merit and not his background and put him in the running for the highest office in the country...and also thus the world.
Now this isn't in anyway an endorsement for Obama. I am sure it's too late for that anyway. It is an endorsement for modern thinking. Yes that's what comes to mind when I hear his speeches. And this is not just a compliment for him. It is again for the American public. As we all know, it is no use harping high intellectual gibberish in the political arena. All that matters is votes. All that matters is changing people's opinions and attracting them. And that means you have to target at the lowest common denominator. Some thing that will hit and affect the most people. And thus comes the praise for the public. I hope I get to see such speeches instead of the usual emotional, inflammatory or divisive speeches by politicians in my lifetime in India.
You can argue that I really have no business posting and talking about American politics when I haven't really written one good thing about Indian politicians yet. That's true. But I am not interested in American politics in terms of politics. I am interested in it in an intellectual or even an humamitarian way. I don't know which candidate is good for the US or even for Indo-US relations(having said that I kinda think it is not McCain. Sorry mate, had enough of Bush). I feel pleased within when I see Obama as the next president as it tells me something all thought impossible. A man born in poverty in Kenya could give birth to a man who would become the most powerful man on earth. Now isn't that an amazing statement? It's a big boost to people of third world countries and more than that it is, for the people of the developed nations, a reminder that all are equal. It may not change much but it does narrow the gap a little bit. Especially because of the democratic way he will be chosen, if he is.
....the post is named so because after 50 years, I could say, remember those historic elections in 2008? I wrote a post about it too. It will be a part of history.
Comments
hehe
Really good post pranay.... I agree with u. I even heard he's muslim. So u can imagine the unbiased way America voted. I used to think they had no sense voting bush, but the public showed their intelligence. Obama's speech was so moving. It wasnt like I wanted to cry with emotions, bt it was like I could feel and see what he means. Apparently McCain would've been good for India, for IT sector. But I think if Obama cuts down outsourcing jobs to India, even if ppl loose jobs in India, it'll stop the vacuum in the American economy, and thus help the other markets.
lets see... it aint so simple.. and if u notice... even he hardly smiled! cause he knows there s so much to do!!
I am still hopeful it's not gonna be bad for the outsourcing as he hasn't really promised that much in this regard. The tax cut is hardly close to the savings from outsourcing. Yes, He didn't smile. May be he is really serious about the problem at hand. The speech again, had that typical Obama quality. And I understand what you mean...you tend to believe what he says.I just hope now, he does deliver what he has promised.
Lets see how far he maintains his promise :)