To Hell and back.

Yes that's right. I am back.....for now.

Saw Guru today. Anyways couldn't think of anything to write here about. So this gives me a good opportunity.
On the whole, awesome movie. All credits to Mani. I like it when people stay true to the subject instead of making it too commercial. An artiste is one whose art is for himself not others.
It manages to hold your attention for the length of the movie. Well,till the last parts anyway. The pace never slows down. Of course Abhishek carries the film on his shoulders and does it pretty well I must say. This is the first time I've seen him act...well. He should stick to more of such kinda roles.But I definitely saw a lot of Amitabh in his performance. Superbly crafted cinema that just has those hidden message kinda like those between the lines stuff.
It tells us about dreams, the indomitable human spirit and strength in times of adversity without being preachy.Guru inspires you to fight fo your dreams but as a tribute to realism even Guru the lead, is not white but grey. It not only shows us the all the wonderful things about going for your dreams but also throws light on the darkness that can accompany it. It wavers over the age old question of Morals v/s Succcess. Remember heart v/s mind anyone?
There is a hint of capitalism v/s socialism in the end too but I'd leave that to experts like Atlantean to decipher.Ash does her job well. The look doesn't flatter her but just so real. You can't really say anything about Vidya balan as the role is just too short. It ought to be called a guest appearance. Madhavan is very good and as a pleasant surprise comes back Mithun Chakraborty with a splendid performance. There are some glitches here and there but the message and the honesty of the movie makes you wanna ignore them.I still think they could have done with fewer songs.
Watch it! If you haven't already...
------------------------------------------------------------
I am fine now people. Thanks for all the support and care. I appreciate it a lot. Still haven't got the answer and I am sure it's there somewhere. The answer to staying happy that is. This post has come about out of my need to post something. Now that's a good sign. The less I am troubled, the less I think, the less I have something to write. Yippee!! But will try to post soon. Take care.

Comments

Advitiya said…
You're nuts!

That said nice review.. Haven't seen it yet. Not even planning to. Reviews are cool enough.

Ugh-zams all over? Can we have the daaru party now?
BD said…
Me too,haven't seen it yet.

Btw, a trip to hell once in a while is good. :)
Pranay said…
@ Advitya - Nuts? Birds of a feather eh?
Ugh-zams over long back. Just idling away time.
Party? Any time.

@ Equilibrium- True. But it's the other way round for me. I take a trip out of hell once in a while.:)
Jewel Rays said…
I am glad to hear you are doing fine now Pranay..;D

Cheers!
fpr said…
I was disappointed with Guru; too hollow, too un-focussed, too dishonest. If the movie is supposedly on late Dhirubai Ambani, then Mani Ratnam (shockingly) is such a suck-up to the Ambanis! Either Ratnam didn’t bother to do enough research on the man or he just didn’t have the creative gut to be objective enough to drape the movie in its darkest shade of grey. When a story glorifies, the story fails. Guru can easily pass off as an authorized biography; paid for by the Ambanis. The dark deeds of the man are only partly touched upon and are very well sugar-coated and justified.
Read the “Polyester Prince’ by Hamish McDonald. All original versions of the book have been burnt by the Ambanis; even the amazons of the virtual world do not have a copy for sale on their website! A few digitally-copied versions remain; albeit read and circulated underground. All this, for obvious reasons.
But anyways, fictionalizing history is very easy and adapting it for commercial success is even easier. Glad you had a paisa-vasool experience!
Btw, am not an Ambani-basher; I even have money invested in one of their companies ;)
Pranay said…
@ Amy - Thanks. Cheers to you too. :-)

@ fpr- Of course it's gonna seem dishonest and made up to you after you've read the book and compare the film with it. The point is not how Mani shows Dhirubhai. The point is how Mani tells the story, the story of a poor guy making it big irrespective of whether it's true or not.
Yes, He does try too hard to justify Guru's actions and pretty unconvincingly and stupidly in the end and that is one of the faults I was willing to ignore for the rest of the film where no actor is allowed to go out of character.And the movie never really leaves the central plot just for the sake of audience appeasement(except for some of the songs).
Anyways, I respect your opinion. Where can I get a copy of the book?

Popular posts from this blog

Crossroads

Forgive and forget?