Dialogue is overrated...

I know we have all heard discussing is the best way to solve mutual differences. All differences can be sorted out by dialogue. I think it's a farce. It's just a way devised to avoid people from resorting to violence. It can't actually solve anything.

Here's an example:
Person A: I think this is the right thing.
Person B: I think this is the right thing. (…referring to the opposite thing, of course.)
A: No you see this is the right thing because of this reason, this reason, this reason see there are so many things that prove that this is the right thing.
B: I don't think so. That isn't the right thing. What about this? And this? And this?
A: What are you saying? This is so clearly the right thing. Look at all these arguments…
B: No, I don't think so. I think my argument is more powerful.
A: I believe you are wrong. Please try to look at it from a neutral point of view.
B: No, you try to look at it from the neutral point of view. I am looking at it from the right point of view.

What do you think will be the end of this argument?
Does it matter if one of them is right or may be that both of them are wrong?
There is no end.
People will always look at things from their own point of view. Everyone has their own set of rights and wrongs that they judge everything against. Sometimes even if they have the same sets of rights and wrongs they can go on arguing about what's right and what's wrong depending upon the side from which they view it. This happens everywhere…from a domestic fight between a husband and wife to governments of two countries in a dispute.
I don't know what the real root of the problem is?

Maybe it's the Ego. Yes it is in many cases. It won't allow anyone to accept someone else's opinion c'mon… The fact that I am in an argument means I have to win it. Doesn't matter if I am wrong I'll just stick to disagreeing all of his points. Or I'll do one thing, every time he makes a valid point I’ll just change the topic to some point where I am right.

Then there's the real problem of not being able to look at things from a neutral point of view, let alone from the other person's point of view.
It's a very tricky thing. You know the same thing can look entirely different from different sides. It's like the six blind men trying to guess the shape of an elephant. Everyone was right in their own way but yet everyone was wrong. It's just not possible to tell who is more right or who is more wrong. Do what you can. Put all evidences in the world in front of such a person but still you won't be able to convince him as he will stick to his side. How many times have I heard this in an argument? Try as much as you want but I am not gonna change my stance. Arguing is useless with such people. It doesn't matter what arguments you put forward they have made up their mind of not changing. Your argument will just be white noise.

Sometimes there's that thing that puts all the efforts put into the creation of languages to shame…miscommunication.
The two of them might be saying the same thing but still end up fighting. Ok, the right solution to this might be a clear discussion. But nobody does that today. All a discussion will lead to is a bigger issue. Look at the Aamir-Gujarat issue.
All three reasons are kinda similar but yet slightly different.
I've run out of probable reasons but am sure there are more. I have lost hope of solving a matter by discussion. People will always have their opinions and no amount of discussing can change them…
UNLESS….you use things that are away from the issue like emotional blackmail, or you are so good an orator that you brainwash your listeners or maybe sometimes if you bombard them with your side all the time. But then it doesn't matter which side you are from, right or wrong.
And that is wrong.

Comments

tanvi said…
Yes what you say is right in the sense dialouge do helps in co-option of dissent and preventing violence but I will still favour it over noncommunication. Why? Because through dialouge even if you don't reach an agreement you will atleast know where the other person stands withut dialouge you will end up making biased guesses and interpret his/her stand according to your own convenience. Plus dialouge at times even if do not convinces makes a person look at things from completely different perspectives stretching his/her thinking which can at times lead to positive change. The problem does not lies with dialouge but a closed mind which makes people unreceptive to anything thay don't believe in, but beliefs do change. However dialouge is productive only if backed by genuine commitment to understand and resolve an issue not just going with the intention to defeat the other person's views as in a debate competition. In a dialouge both sides gain. Just initiating a dialouge to convert the other person to your views is not dialouge but canvassing. In a dialouge every view is important and has to respected if not agreed too.
My God this is long sorry:)
Pranay said…
Hehe..it's ok. I know all this tanvi. I was not talking about the ideal world. I am talking about the the real world where things are kinda different. I have had experiences where I've learnt it's better to keep quiet than to try to talk as much as I hate saying this. I was very much a 'talk if you have problems' kind of a person. But now I see the futility of it. It's kinda natural to have a closed mind because after all you only see things from your perspecive and will always think that's right. May be I am wrong in being so critical of dialogue but definitely is over rated. Look at the Kashmir issue.
Chaitanya said…
Hehe... you are right to an extent because good debates are very rare... as rare as rain in the desert... by good debates I mean those in which both sides will have a good say and will be able to appreciate each others' viewpoints... and yet come out smiling... and most importantly... with a conclusion.

Well, since you have concluded that dialogue doesnt work, I assume it is futile to argue with you. So let's fight! :p
Advitiya said…
Deep... so tell me... Why do you think people argue? Just for the heck of it? Nah, they want to prove their theory right...exactly like you said. Though I won't call it ego for everyone. Some might truly believe in their theory.
Remember the mums and dadis convincing everyone that Ganesh was indeed drinking milk?

Everyone wants to be heard...its those weird ass kinds who just stick to their guns not listening to the other view point...encountered many and believe me...its exhausting to argue with them

Popular posts from this blog

Crossroads

Forgive and forget?