Grey's anatomy.

Just watched the first episode of Grey's anatomy and had a strange feeling of déjà vu. I don't how to explain. This world …this world of medicine…the world I try to keep myself out of when I am out of the hospital…maybe it's because of a comment a friend of mine had passed. He had said that once we get in med-school we are separated from the normal world, we don't know what happens outside; all we can know or talk about is medicine. Honestly, didn't like it. Don't wanna be someone who doesn't know anything apart from what he does. That's why this subconscious attempt at being a regular guy at the cost of loving your own field I suppose. And I know it's not right…
Ok so we were talking about Grey's anatomy, it brought back those bitter sweet memories you attach with med-school. That cut -throat competition, those moments of blankness when a senior asks a question, those moments of blankness when you have to apply your bookish knowledge to a human being lying in front of you, that feeling of achievement when you think of something no one did, those sad moments when you can't help but feel bad about a patients suffering, the moments when you have to answer those questions from the patient's relatives full of hope with your half knowledge, yes…all that. Don't know what's in store for me. Where will I be? Will I be able to continue this bitter sweet journey of learning? I'll always miss it.
A scene reminded me of a very personal experience which I'll share with you guys. This happened a few years back. My uncle, it seems, kinda had this habit of taking sleeping pills every night. And once when he stooped after an episode of convulsions, he had withdrawal symptoms. I hadn't seen him. This incident occurred when I had gone to see him. As I went there, there was my mom and my grandfather there. As I reached his bed, my mom asked him as you would to a small child, "Who is he?" And he just couldn't remember my name. It was a shock. I just couldn't stop the tears swell up in my eyes. I was just not ready to accept somebody you have known for so many years to behave like this. I know I may sound silly, I should be able to accept it as a medical condition, but I just couldn't. It was just too painful to see him try to remember me and behave like that. I still feel the hair stand on end when I think about it.
This makes me feel psychiatry is such a scary thing. How can somebody's personality, their mental capacity just change like that? It is just too painful to see your close relatives go through that. It takes a lot of strength, more than many diseases. I wish all those who have to go through this experience have the strength to take it.

Comments

theyellowpeach said…
yeah, and I like how you put that link to my site. lol, thanks.
and thanks for the advice, but it's not really weakness. I cut when I'm really mad. I could hurt someone else, or break something, but cutting myself seems less selfish, you know? : )
tanvi said…
Wats scary is not psychiatry but mental illness. I suggest you read doctors by Erich segal it explores he same territory and check my comment on the poem below
Pranay said…
i said psychiatry coz i was looking at it in terms of a doctor.and beth i just couldn't do the template thing.thanx 4 the comments both of u.
tanvi said…
Hey thanks for your comment on my blog. I feel you write extremely well. and a I still recommend doctors for you doc :-)
tanvi said…
Hey wen I clicked on the links on ur blog except on beths each time i reached microsofts site. It weird.
theyellowpeach said…
Actually, I don't always read your posts, but I have read some before. I don't usually have much time. I scan it a little if I don't have time to read it all.
When I have more time I'll help you with a template. Do you have any idea of what you want?
Advitiya said…
Thanks for visiting my site. My best friend is in med school and I kinda irritate her with lottsa 'med-questions'. I'll think I'll stop now....
:)

Popular posts from this blog

Crossroads

Forgive and forget?