Open your eyes..

It's so strange... sometimes you are unable to see what's near you coz your eyes are fixed too far.
An incident like this happened with me recently. Everybody when looking at their country looks at the problems, the negatives etc.These are the things that bother us and thus this is all we think. Yet sometimes the greatness of our country is so conveniently missed. It took me two eyes looking at India from outside to realize this. The eyes that maybe that maybe although couldn't see the negatives were very keen on appreciating the positives. I saw that admiration and respect for India that I had forgotten. I saw how great India really is. I saw the meaninglessness of chasing other worlds when there's something here that can lead everyone.
The meaninglessness of learning salsa and hiphop when we so many traditional dances of our own, of striving to perfect our English when we have more than 15 languages of our own, forget Hollywood, forget American music, there's everything here..possibly even more. People here want to live in the richest and poshest areas in the world while the eyes had only the vision of the green grass and simple life of the Indian villages in it. I asked if they would like to see Mumbai, the commercial capital of India and the answer was no. They wanted to see the villages. So honest, So pure, So simple.
People here don't realize the potential they have. The potential India has. I don't think anyone in the world has a richer cultural heritage than her. The depth, the size, the age, the greatness & the magnificence of this culture in every way is mindboggling. It
really surprises me how these two small eyes have changed my outlook completely. Suddenly there are so many things that I would not even have noticed that I am proud of. The other day I was at C.S.T. and just couldn't stop staring at the colonial building there. I wonder how many people who can afford to see the Eiffel tower or the Statue of Liberty would go to watch the magnificent opulence that is the Taj. There are so many things here that are so unique. They are what we are known for, & they are what we overlook to see what's cooking across the seas.
I was so surprised to know how many cultures and countries actually look up to us. They respect people all over the world have for India is massive. If only people here knew. But no one's interested. Either they are too ignorant to care or so 'westernised' they actually care for the Americans.
The tourism industry is dwindling. Instead of showcasing our heritage people are concerned about aping the west. They are no efforts to make it a welcome place for the tourists. The people don't care.
I am indebted to those eyes that opened mine. The love in them made me realize how lucky I am to be born in India. The love for India that is. Yes, there are people outside India that actually love India. It let's them experience the journey from being a man to
becoming 'human'.
Comments